Looking to buy a popcorn machine in India, if yes, you certainly need to know how to choose a popcorn machine in India for home use.
You can also cook popcorn in the pressure cooker or microwave, but a popcorn maker will enhance the taste buds even more.
In today’s post, we will discuss how to select a popcorn maker in India, along with some types of popcorn makers.
Types of Popcorn Machines
In order to know how to choose the best popcorn machine in India, you should know what are the different types available, so you can choose the best one for home use. We will only discuss those types of popcorn machines that are widely available and used in India.
1. Microwave Popcorn Maker
Microwave popcorn maker, as the name suggests, is the one that you will need to place in the microwave. Needless to say, if you do not have a microwave in the kitchen, then there is no point buying this one to make popcorns.
The majority of the microwave popcorn makers are made from borosilicate glass, which is 5-6 times stronger than a regular glass. Due to the tough glass material, you can easily put it in the microwave.
The glass section of the microwave popcorn maker is used to fill with the kernel corns. In addition to glass, the container is also available in microwaveable ABS plastic or silicone. With a microwave popcorn maker, all you have to do is add the kernels in the popper, and microwave it for a few minutes with or without the oil, depending on your preference.
It will take around 2-4 minutes for the popcorn to get ready via a microwave popcorn maker.
Pros of Microwave Popcorn Maker:
Easy to use
No need to use oil
Faster cooking time
Cons of Microwave Popcorn Maker:
You will need oven mitts as they can get very hot
2. Stovetop Popcorn Maker
Similar to a microwave popcorn maker, a stovetop popcorn maker goes on the stovetop. In terms of convenience, durability, popcorn quality, and the quantity, stovetop popcorn makers are termed to be the best amongst all the other categories of popcorn makers.
If you want to make a lot of popcorn in one go, you can consider buying a stovetop popcorn maker. The taste and quality that you will get from a stovetop popcorn maker will be similar to what you buy in the movie theatres.
The main popcorn pot is usually made from stainless steel, which ensures the quality and durability of the stovetop popcorn maker. In order to operate the stovetop popcorn maker, you will need to crank your stove burner to low heat, and then add in the required amount of kernels with a few tablespoons of oil.
You also get flexibility to add seasonings, butter as per your taste and requirement in a stovetop popcorn maker. You should also know that in case of a stovetop popcorn maker, you will have to control the heat yourself, so the popcorn does not get overcooked.
Pros of Stovetop Popcorn Maker:
Best to make large quantities of popcorn
Ideal for gatherings or events
AffordableFaster cooking time
Cons of Stovetop Popcorn Maker:
Manual as you need to turn the crank
3. Hot Air Popcorn Maker
A hot air popcorn maker is also known as an air popper. The best thing about hot air popcorn maker is that they are very compact, and do not take a lot of space in the kitchen.
The purpose of a hot air popcorn maker, as the name suggests, is to spread hot air around popcorn kernels to make them pop, which is why they are also known as air poppers. This type of popcorn maker has a designed mouth, which shoots the cooked popcorns into the container.
This machine comes with a built-in fan, which is hidden inside the main section of the popcorn maker. A hot air popcorn maker does not require oil, unlike a stovetop popcorn maker. It only takes a few minutes to heat the popcorn maker, and do its job.
Hot air popcorn makers also have a measuring cup, where you can put butter and measure the kernel. The butter will melt as the popcorns are being cooked. This type of popcorn maker is quite popular in India, with a lot of varieties available in the market.
Pros of Hot Air Popcorn Maker:
Available in many styles and designs
Requires no oil to make popcorn
Easy to clean and use
Cons of Hot Air Popcorn Maker:
Can be a bit expensive
4. Commercial Popcorn Maker
Commercial popcorn maker, as the name suggests, is an industry level popcorn maker, and is not something we buy for our household kitchens. You will see this type of popcorn maker in the movie halls, commercial establishments, etc.
Needless to say, this is one of the most expensive popcorn making machine in India. The price of this machine starts from 10,000 rupees and can go to any amount, depending on the brand.
With a commercial popcorn maker machine, you can be assured of durability, quality, and convenience. This is an ideal machine to cook popcorns in the large quantities.
You will see a holding tray which is made from metal in a commercial popcorn maker. The holding tray is on the top, and contains quantities of kernel, oil or salt. The top needs to be closed, before the machine can be switched on.
Pros of Commercial Popcorn Maker:
Ideal to make large batches of popcorn
Relatively simple to use
Cons of Commercial Popcorn Maker:
How to Choose a Popcorn Machine in India
1. Type of Popcorn Machine – If you are in the market to buy a popcorn machine, the first thing you have to decide is the type of popcorn maker you want to buy. Commercial popcorn makers are not meant for home use, as they are usually expensive and mostly used in the commercial establishments.
This means, you can choose from microwave popcorn maker, stovetop popcorn maker and hot air popcorn maker. Every popcorn maker has its own pros and cons, thus, you will have to make a choice depending on your requirements.
Usually, stovetop popcorn makers are the best for home usage, however if you do not have a microwave, the choice is pretty simple to choose from the other types of popcorn makers. You can also make a choice basis the oil and butter usage, as there are popcorn makers where you do not to have add oil or butter to make popcorn.
2. Quantity of Popcorn – The quantity of popcorn is one of the most important factors you should look at before buying a popcorn maker machine. Analyse how much popcorn you would like to make, take into consideration the gatherings or movie nights at your place.
You can make maximum amount of popcorn with a commercial popcorn machine, but that’s not really feasible for home use, as it takes up a lot of space too. Stovetop popcorn makers are the next best choice to make large batches of popcorn at once.
3. Material – The material of the popcorn machine is essential, as the durability and life of the machine depends on it. You can choose from stainless steel, plastic or glass. Steel is undoubtedly the most durable of all, but popcorn makers made from steel are bulky and heavyweight.
If you choose plastic, make sure the plastic is food grade safe and BPA free. Plastic popcorn makers are also affordable as compared to the steel ones. If you do go for glass, you will be able to see the progress of popcorns as they get cooked. The good thing is there are a lot of choices online, and you can choose the best one according to your requirements.
4. Ease of Cleaning – Look very carefully how easy is the popcorn maker to clean. You do not want to get stuck with a popcorn maker that is extremely difficult to clean, especially the popcorn kernels can get stuck, making the cleaning much more difficult.
Choose a popcorn maker that can be placed in the dishwasher. If not, see if the parts of the popcorn maker are detachable, as that will make cleaning more easy.
5. Portability – Popcorn makers are not just for home use, but you can also easily move them around. You can carry the popcorn maker while you are travelling, so you can enjoy popcorn nights outside the 4 walls of your house as well. It is important for the popcorn maker to not be very heavy, and have a complex structure for portability.
6. Space – Checkout how much space is the popcorn maker going to take in the kitchen. Can you keep it in the cabinet, can you stack it with other cooking utensils, can you keep it comfortably on the kitchen countertop, without taking a lot of space. These are the questions you need to ask yourself before looking to buy a popcorn maker.
7. Time Required – Depending on the type of the popcorn maker, the time may vary to cook popcorns. It will usually take 2-5 minutes, again depending on the machine type. Of course, you should go for the machine, that takes the lesser time as compared to the other machines. If you have an electric popcorn maker, check the wattage. The higher the wattage, the lesser time it will take to cook popcorns.
8. Price and Warranty – Decide your budget, fix a price range and then pick the best popcorn maker. It is not necessary that an expensive popcorn maker is going to be the best. The price of a popcorn machine in India can range from 500 to 10,000 rupees, so you have a lot of choices. Once you have finalised a few popcorn makers, check if there is any warranty. Needless to say, go for the machine which comes with a warranty as it protects your interest in case of any damages.
Pros & Cons of Popcorn Machine
1. Unlimited Popcorn Time – Buying popcorn at movie halls is extravagant, and it has never made any sense to me, even though I have also never stopped myself from buying those. The truth is, they are extremely expensive, as you end up paying 300 rupees for a decent quantity. However, if you have a popcorn maker at home, you can have popcorn up to 10 times in a price of 300 rupees. Having a popcorn maker at home also allows you to have access to unlimited popcorn at a low price.
2. Saves Money – Not only you can have popcorn anytime if you have one of those machines in your kitchen, but you can also save a lot of money. Popcorn maker is a one time investment, for which you can reap the benefits for years to come.
3. Electricity Bills – It does not matter whether you are cooking the popcorns in the microwave or on the stovetop, they are not going to be free of cost. Ultimately, it will add strain to the power resources, and there might be a slight increase in the electricity bills, of course this depends on your consumption and how frequently you are cooking popcorn.
Every gadget we buy has its own pros and cons, and so is the case with popcorn makers as well. It is important to understand your requirements first, and then make a decision. Before buying one of the best popcorn makers in India, check out the above factors, which will help you to make the right decision. As a recommendation, if you are looking for the best popcorn maker in India, you can pick from Karp Microwave Silicone Popcorn Maker Collapsible Bowl With Lid or Vinsh Enterprise Aluminium Popcorn Machine.
We hope this post on “How to Choose a Popcorn Machine in India” was useful and informative to you. We also encourage you to read the customer reviews of any product before buying. Should you have any questions on this, feel free to leave a comment. If you want our team to review a product you are interested in buying, you can reach out to us at [email protected], and we will be happy to review it.