Searching Google for the Best Dutch Oven in India in 2021 or Best Simmer Pan in India in 2021? If yes, this post is exactly what you should read, and you will have all the answers related to Dutch Ovens, Handi’s, Simmering pots in a while.
Similar to Cast Iron cookware, Dutch Ovens are extremely durable, and if taken care of, your dutch oven might even last for a lifetime.
In India, a dutch oven is also known as Simmer pan, Simmering pot or to simply put it, a handi.
While you are looking for the Best Dutch Oven for Indian Cooking in 2021, these are the factors you should know –
- Material of the dutch oven
- Capacity, depending on the family size
- Is there a warranty
You can also check out other related post on Best Stainless Steel Dinner Set Brands in India in 2021, Best Frying Pan in India in 2021.
Best Dutch Oven in India in 2021 Comparison
Enameled Cast Iron
What is a Dutch Oven?
A Dutch Oven is an excellent heavy metal or ceramic cookware which provides constant and uniform heat to the food inside. The majority of the dutch ovens are Cast iron or Enameled Cast iron, though you will also see dutch ovens with nonstick or aluminium coating.
Due to the cast iron material, dutch ovens are extremely popular, especially if you want to cook something that requires slow cooking, for an ex – Biryani. You can use the dutch oven on stove as well as oven directly.
The average weight of a dutch oven in India varies around 4-5 kgs, whereas the price depends on the brand. Some of the best dutch oven brands in India are Lodge, Le Creuset, Meyer, Wonderchef, Bergner, etc.
While you can get an Indian brand dutch oven for around a 1,000 rupees, the branded ones such as Lodge, Meyer, Le Creuset will cost you more, but their quality is top-notch.
Do I Need a Dutch Oven for Indian Cooking?
If you are a fan of well cooked biryani, dum aloo, kofta’s and curries, then there is no reason you should not have a dutch oven in your kitchen.
For the majority of the Indian delicacies, we require a perfect curry, which is usually a combination of onions, tomatoes, other spices. These ingredients require a bit of browning, which adds more taste to the curry.
As a matter of fact, the Indian style of cooking requires slow simmering heat, proper heat distribution, retention of moisture, etc. A Dutch oven comes with all these properties, which allows you to cook your food at a slow pace and get the best out of each and every ingredient.
In addition to this, you can use a dutch oven for baking, soups, stews, sauces, breads, etc.
How We Tested the Best Dutch Ovens in India?
The first and the most important method to test the best dutch ovens in India was to do a quick check amongst the best dutch oven brands such as Lodge, Le Creuset, Meyer, Wonderchef, Bergner, Amazon Solimo, etc.
Once we picked up these brands, these are the factors basis which we were able to choose these 8 Best Dutch Oven in India in 2021 —
1. Material – The best performing dutch ovens are made either from Cast iron or Enameled cast iron. Cast iron as a material has excellent heat retention properties, which helps in better cooking.
2. Ease of Operation – We thoroughly checked and made sure that a dutch oven should be easy to use, not just for professional chefs, but also for beginners in the kitchen. The weight of the dutch oven should not be too less or too much.
3. Ease of Cooking – A best dutch oven is the one where the heat gets distributed evenly, and it retains the temperature well. We also tested how easy it is to clean the dutch oven.
4. Lid or Handle – The addition of a lid or a handle makes cooking much more easier in a dutch oven, this is required because the dutch oven is not only heavy, but it can also get very hot.
5. Customer Reviews – We thoroughly checked all the past reviews and performance trends, before any of these dutch ovens could be recommended.
Editor’s Pick – Best Dutch Ovens
8 Best Dutch Oven in India in 2021 Reviews
1st product in our today’s review of the Best Dutch Oven in India in 2021 is from one of the best dutch oven brands in the world, Lodge.
For those who do not know, Lodge is an American brand which specializes in Cast iron cookware. As a matter of fact, Lodge is one of the America’s oldest cookware companies in continuous operation.
This dutch oven from Lodge comes with a massive capacity of 6.6 litres and is made from pure grade cast iron material.
The dutch oven comes with 2 handles on both the sides, and there is a lid as well. There is one loop handle on the lid of this dutch oven. 100% construction of this dutch oven is cast iron.
The high depth of this dutch oven is very impressive, as it allows you to fry or cook more items at once, and also from a safety perspective.
Due to the 6.6 litres capacity, this dutch oven is ideal, especially if you have a large family.
During our testing, we found out that this dutch oven retains heat well, and evenly cooks the dishes. It can also be used on all the heat sources except for the microwave.
The bottom of the dutch oven is absolutely flat, and the lid fits very well, and does not wobble a bit.
One thing is for sure, this dutch oven from Lodge can easily last for generations, provided you take care of it.
As a recommendation, gently clean the dutch oven with hot water and a scrub brush, dry it with a hand towel, and then lightly coat it with vegetable oil while it is still warm.
Once done, wipe off the oil, and put it away until the next usage.
The price of the Lodge cookware is always on the expensive side, but you are paying for the quality here.
The best thing is you will get a lifetime warranty on this dutch oven from Lodge, which is why, this is one of the Best Cast Iron Dutch Oven in India in 2021.
You can also check out the Lodge Enamelled Cast Iron Dutch Oven with a capacity of 5.6 litres.
Lodge Metal Dutch Oven Reviews – 5/5
Brand – American
Material – Cast iron
Capacity – 6.6 litres
Weight – 6.8 kgs
Dimensions – 30.48 x 30.48 x 13.97 cm
Warranty – Lifetime
Pros of Lodge Metal Dutch Oven:
Worlds’s best dutch oven brand
Includes a lid and 3 handles
Huge capacity, perfect for large families
Durable, will last for generations
Pure grade cast iron material
Perfect heat distribution
Cons of Lodge Metal Dutch Oven:
A bit expensive, but worth every single penny
If you have been looking for the Best Stainless Steel Dutch Oven in India, which is affordable and fits your pocket, look no further than Amazon Solimo Induction bottom dutch oven.
The dutch oven has a capacity of 5 litres and is made from 100% food-grade stainless steel.
The dutch oven comes with an attractive glass lid which has a bakelite knob to prevent heat transfer.
The benefit of the glass lid is that it allows you to see the contents inside the dutch oven, and you can also monitor the progress of food being cooked.
Amazon has added a heavy-gauge stainless steel induction bottom to ensure the dutch oven can be used on induction cooktops as well.
There are a couple of bakelite ear handles as well, so you can easily hold the dutch oven.
The Amazon dutch oven has a good depth of 4.7 inches, thickness of 0.6 mm, and a diameter of 9.4 inches.
The only problem is we found the thickness of this dutch oven to be a bit less, so you may experience a hot bottom.
Having said this, the flat bottom of the dutch oven makes it easier to cook and stir things. The wide diameter of this dutch oven would make it a lot easier to cook biryani.
The dutch oven is relatively lightweight at only 2.11 kgs.
Though there is no warranty on this dutch oven, but considering the budget cost, you may want to consider buying the Best Dutch Oven for Indian Cooking in 2021 from Amazon Solimo.
Amazon Brand Solimo Stainless Steel Dutch Oven Reviews – 4.9/5
Brand – Indian
Material – Stainless steel
Capacity – 5 litres
Weight – 2.1 kgs
Dimensions – 33.9 x 26.2 x 13.2 cm
Warranty – Nil
Pros of Amazon Brand Solimo Stainless Steel Dutch Oven:
Best Affordable Dutch Oven in India under 1,000 rupees
Made from 100% food grade stainless steel
Bakelite knob and handles
Heavy capacity of 5 litres
Ideal for sambhar, rasam, curries, biryani, pulao, etc
Cons of Amazon Brand Solimo Stainless Steel Dutch Oven:
If you have been searching for the Best Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven in India in 2021, you must choose Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron dutch oven.
Le Creuset is a premium French cookware manufacturer best known for its colourful enameled cast iron cookware. Their dutch ovens are extremely popular and bestselling in the Europe as well as the America.
As a matter of fact, all Le Creuset cast iron products are made in Northern France, whereas their stainless steel products are manufactured in Portugal.
This dutch oven from Le Creuset comes with the highest capacity of 6.8 litres, which is massive.
One of the major benefits of Enameled cast iron dutch oven is that it comes with an enameled finish over the interior as well as the exterior of the pot.
The best part is enameled cast iron dutch ovens do not need to be seasoned before using, and they are also resistant to rust, unlike traditional cast iron.
This dutch oven is equipped with 45% larger handles, that helps to provide a firm grip, even with the oven mitts.
The knob of the dutch oven is temperature resistant for up to 260 degree celsius.
As far as the compatibility is concerned, you can use this dutch oven on ceramic, electric, gas, halogen, induction, outdoor grill, oven, etc.
In terms of colour choice, there are around 12 colours you can choose from for this dutch oven.
The price of Le Creuset is certainly on the higher side, but similar to Lodge, you are paying for the quality and generations of usage.
You should know Le Creuset offers an impeccable lifetime warranty on their dutch ovens.
If the cost fits your pocket, and you are looking for a premium dutch oven, you can pick this Best Dutch Oven in India in 2021 from Le Creuset.
Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast Iron Reviews – 5/5
Brand – French
Material – Enameled cast iron
Capacity – 6.8 litres
Weight – 5.8 kgs
Dimensions – 33.9 x 26.2 x 13.2 cm
Warranty – Lifetime
Pros of Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast Iron:
World’s best dutch oven brand from France
Enameled cast iron
45% larger handles
Superior heat distribution
Massive capacity of 6.8 litres
Cons of Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast Iron:
Too expensive for Indian middle class families
Rock Tawa is a famous “Made in India” brand, popular for its cast iron cookware. We have covered some of their products before, and can confirm they are of genuine quality at an affordable price.
The capacity of this dutch oven from Rock is 5 litres with a weight of 6.3 kgs.
The best part is this dutch oven comes pre-seasoned with sunflower oil, so you will not have to spend a lot of time in its seasoning.
The dutch oven comes with a heavy duty lid, and the overall oven is sturdy and heavy. The cast iron lid fits the oven perfectly, making the oven almost airtight.
We tested this dutch oven for baking bread and cakes. To our delight, we noticed that the oven heats evenly and everything comes out perfectly baked.
Due to the heavy weight of the dutch oven and its lid, it is absolutely perfect for pressure cooking.
The brand Rock is offering a 1 year warranty on this dutch oven.
Even though the brand claims this dutch oven is pre-seasoned, but you will still have to season it a few times for a better cooking experience.
To sum it up, we found this product to be very sturdy, and way less expensive than its International counterparts such as Lodge, Meyer, Bergner, etc, easily one of the Best Budget Dutch Oven in India.
Rock Tawa Cast Iron Dutch Oven Reviews – 5/5
Brand – Indian
Material – Cast iron
Capacity – 5 litres
Weight – 6.3 kgs
Dimensions – 28.5 x 27.89 x 20.7 cm
Warranty – 1 year
Pros of Rock Tawa Cast Iron Dutch Oven:
Made in India
Affordable and powerful
5 litres of capacity
1 year warranty
Perfect for pressure cooking
Cons of Rock Tawa Cast Iron Dutch Oven:
For those who do not know, Meyer is one of the largest cookware distributor in the United States and second largest in the world.
Meyer brand is famous for their premium cookware in a mid-price range.
This dutch oven from Meyer comes with a mid-capacity of 4.6 litres, perfect for a family of 4-5 people.
The dutch oven comes pre-seasoned with 100% vegetable oil, however with time, you can achieve an almost nonstick coating with regular seasoning from time to time.
The dutch oven seems to be very sturdy, and the best part is it is a one-piece design as it is free of any screws, welds or joints.
There are small things about this dutch oven, which makes it class apart and really special.
To start with, the entire dutch oven has a matte black finish look, which looks premium even after years of regular usage.
The lid of the dutch oven is made from glass, and comes with a silicone rim for a perfect airtight fit. The handles are wide enough and ergonomic, so your fingers can get in between that space easily.
Along with the Meyer dutch oven, you will also receive heat resistant canvas grips, which is perfect for comfortable handing.
The dutch oven comes with a heavy gauge construction for extra thickness and durability.
One of the best things about this dutch oven is that it is not very heavy, and only weighs 3 kgs.
The brand Meyer is offering a lifetime warranty on this dutch oven, which makes it one of the Best Dutch Oven with lid in India in 2021.
Meyer Pre Seasoned Cast Iron Dutch Oven Reviews – 5/5
Brand – American
Material – Cast iron
Capacity – 4.6 litres
Weight – 3 kgs
Dimensions – 31.1 x 24.8 x 10.16 cm
Warranty – Lifetime
Pros of Meyer Pre Seasoned Cast Iron Dutch Oven:
Premium cast iron material
Heavy gauge thickness
One piece design with no screws or joints
Canvas grip for comfortable hold
Ideal for dum, biryanis, koftas, curries, etc.
Cons of Meyer Pre Seasoned Cast Iron Dutch Oven:
Not dishwasher safe
Wonderchef is a “Made in India” brand founded by famous Chef Sanjeev Kapoor. Their products are a culmination of German standards of quality and Italian designs.
This is a heavy-duty dutch oven from Wonderchef, which comes with a capacity of 4.4 litres and a thickness of 3.5 mm.
The exterior of this dutch oven is coated with enamel, which is rust, chip, and crack resistant.
At the same time, the dutch oven has matte black enamel interiors with a textured surface, which improves the overall cooking performance.
The dutch oven includes a heavy lid that seals in moisture, and makes it almost airtight.
You can use the dutch oven on all kinds of cooktops including the induction ones, and wash in the dishwasher.
One thing that could have been improved in this dutch oven is the weight, it is a bit heavy at 6.1 kgs. Considering the capacity is only 4.4 litres, the weight is on the heavier side.
Wonderchef products are known for their premium quality and price will be on the expensive side. Having said this, Wonderchef is providing 5 years of warranty on this dutch oven.
The dutch oven for its premium quality from Wonderchef is one of the Best Dutch Oven for Biryani in India in 2021.
You can also check out the 2.6 litre dutch oven from Wonderchef with an affordable price.
Wonderchef Ferro Cast Iron Oval Casserole Reviews – 4.9/5
Brand – Indian
Material – Cast iron
Capacity – 4.4 litres
Weight – 6.1 kgs
Dimensions – 14 x 31 x 33 cm
Warranty – 5 years
Pros of Wonderchef Ferro Cast Iron Oval Casserole:
Premium kitchenware brand
Made in India
Heavy duty dutch oven
Designed for old-style slow-cooking
5 years of warranty
Premium cast iron material
Cons of Wonderchef Ferro Cast Iron Oval Casserole:
Trilonium is an Indian brand which deals in Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Cookware, Iron cookware, Mild steel cookware, carbon steel cookware, Triply Stainless steel cookware, etc.
This dutch oven from Trilonium is an ideal dutch oven if you have a small family from 2 to 3 people.
The capacity of this dutch oven is 1.8 litres, and it is very lightweight at only 1.9 kgs.
One of the unique selling point of this dutch oven is the long handle that comes attached to the dutch oven. The extended handle makes the handling process much easier and comfortable.
Although the dutch oven comes pre-seasoned with natural cold pressed oil, you might still have to season it a few times for an optimum cooking experience.
The dutch oven has a curved interior and a rounded base, which makes sauce making easier than ever.
You can use the dutch oven on all kinds of cooktops including the induction ones. The brand Trilonium is offering a 3 years warranty on this dutch oven.
Overall, if you have a small family, and looking for the Best Dutch Oven for Biryani in India, you can go for this cookware from Trilonium.
Trilonium Mini Pre-Seasoned Long Handle Dutch Oven Reviews – 4.9/5
Brand – Indian
Material – Cast iron
Capacity – 1.8 litres
Weight – 1.9 kgs
Dimensions – 31.2 x 22.6 x 14.9 cm
Warranty – 3 years
Pros of Trilonium Mini Pre-Seasoned Long Handle Dutch Oven:
Made in India
Perfect for small families
Comes with a long handle
3 years of warranty
Ideal for biryani, soups, stews, and braising meat
Cons of Trilonium Mini Pre-Seasoned Long Handle Dutch Oven:
Not meant for large families or gatherings
The last product in our today’s review of the Best Cast Iron Dutch Oven in India in 2021 is from one of the best dutch oven brands in India, Bergner.
Bergner is a leading homeware company originating in Europe, provide best non stick cookware, and kitchenware products all over the world.
The brand is known for its innovation and quality products. This dutch oven from Bergner has a capacity of 4.6 litres, and a diameter of 28 cm.
This dutch oven is unique in a way, as it is made of cast aluminium that enables the best heat distribution and retention, making it energy efficient and durable.
It is because of the cast aluminium body, that this dutch oven is relatively super lightweight at only 1.6 kgs.
The dutch oven comes with a Teflon DuPont nonstick coating, which is great as the food will not stick to the dutch oven while cooking, and cleaning will be very easy.
The dutch oven also includes a tempered glass lid, which is perfect for better heat retention, and it allows you to check the progress of your food being cooked.
The addition of bakelite handles makes sure added safety, excellent grip and comfortable handling while you are cooking.
You can use this dutch oven on induction as well as gas stoves. Bergner is also offering a 1 year warranty on this dutch oven.
So, if you are looking for the Best Nonstick Dutch Oven in India for cooking biryani, you can choose the dutch oven from Bergner.
Bergner Scarlett Cast Aluminium Non-Stick Dutch Oven Reviews – 5/5
Brand – Austrian
Material – Cast aluminium nonstick
Capacity – 4.6 litres
Weight – 1.6 kgs
Dimensions – 31.4 x 30.7 x 10 cm
Warranty – 1 year
Pros of Bergner Scarlett Cast Aluminium Non-Stick Dutch Oven:
Best Nonstick Dutch Oven in India
Tempered glass lid
Cast aluminium body for excellent heat retention
4.6 litres capacity
Dupont nonstick coating
1 year warranty
Cons of Bergner Scarlett Cast Aluminium Non-Stick Dutch Oven:
Which is the Best Dutch Oven in India in 2021
Dutch Ovens can be an expensive choice for a cookware, and this is why, we have included Indian brands as well, which will not burn a hole in your pocket.
Keeping this in mind, here are our recommendations for the best dutch oven in India in 2021 –
Best Dutch Oven in India in 2021 – Wonderchef Ferro Cast-Iron Oval Casserole
Best Cast Iron Dutch Oven in India in 2021 – Lodge Metal Dutch Oven
Best Dutch Oven for Indian Cooking in 2021 – Rock Tawa Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Best Nonstick Dutch Oven in India – Bergner Scarlett Cast Aluminium Nonstick Dutch Oven
Best Dutch Oven for Biryani in India – Meyer Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Buying Guide – Best Dutch Oven in India
As of 2021, there are more than a 1,000 dutch ovens waiting to be sold on Amazon and other E-commerce platforms. All these dutch ovens are characterised by some of the best and most popular dutch oven brands in India, and all over the world.
In this buying guide, we will cover everything about the best dutch oven in India and also how you can pick the best one for your kitchen.
Best Dutch Oven Brands in India
There are 2 types of dutch oven brands in India, one which is made and sold in India, and the other category is International dutch ovens. Before we discuss this further, here are some of the best dutch oven brands in India in 2021 —
- Amazon Solimo
- Le Creuset
Most of these brands are International, whereas some of the best brands are from India. Brands like Lodge, Le Creuset, Meyer, Bergner are all from foreign corporations, and can be expensive too. For an example, while you can get a Bergner or Meyer dutch oven for around 2,500 – 4,000 rupees in India, the price of Le Creuset dutch oven is very high, more than 100,000 INR.
Brands like Rock, Amazon Solimo, Wonderchef is in the affordable range, and you will not have to burn a hole in your pocket to get one of their dutch ovens. You can get dutch ovens from Rock and Amazon Solimo for less than 2,000 rupees in 2021.
In addition to this, these brands are the best for dutch ovens in India in 2021, due to their past performance, customer reviews, after sales support and various other factors.
Cast Iron vs Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven
The 99.9% of the dutch ovens in India are made from cast iron or enameled cast iron. You will see a very few dutch ovens with a nonstick coating, cast aluminium coating or even stainless steel finish. The reason cast iron material is in majority is that a dutch oven has a specialty of slow cooking, and nothing beats cast iron for slow and uniform cooking.
Having said this, there are a few differences between cast iron and enameled cast iron, let’s discuss which one is the best for your kitchen.
1. Visual Looks – When it comes to the aesthetic looks of the dutch oven, enameled cast iron takes the upper hand. You will see a lot of dutch ovens with an Orange, Red, Blue colour exterior finish. All those are enameled cast iron dutch ovens, whereas cast iron dutch ovens are mostly black in colour and may not have a very charming finish or looks.
2. Affordability – If you have a tight budget, do not look at enameled cast iron dutch ovens as they are very expensive and will dent a hole in your pocket. Plain cast iron dutch ovens are more affordable for the middle class Indian families.
3. Maintenance – If maintenance is not your thing, you must go for an enameled cast iron dutch oven. Plain cast iron dutch ovens require regular maintenance, such as you will need to season it before use, and then reseason it from time to time. You will need to wash a cast iron dutch oven immediately after use, which may not be the case with enameled cast iron dutch ovens.
4. Durability – With all the benefits and superior looks an enameled cast iron dutch oven comes with, it also has a few disadvantages. In terms of durability, a plain cast iron dutch oven is much more durable than its enameled counterpart. With the enameled cast iron dutch oven, there is always a risk of enameled coating being chipped off due to normal wear and tear. On the other hand, a raw cast iron dutch oven is solid as a rock and will easily last for generations.
5. Natural Stickiness – Raw cast iron dutch ovens tend to get a nonstick surface over a period of time. This happens when you season the cookware from time to time, and with the proper skills. However, with the enameled cast iron dutch oven, you may not be able to achieve the kind of nonstick surface that you would get on the raw cast iron oven. In a nutshell, uncoated cast iron ovens have a natural nonstick surface.
6. Acidic Cooking – One of the major drawbacks of cooking with plain cast iron cookware is that you have to be a bit careful while cooking acidic foods such as tomatoes, vinegar, etc. in it. Although there is no major health risk associated with this, but you should always make sure to season the cast iron cookware properly, before cooking acidic foods in it. At the same time, there is no such risk with the enameled cast iron dutch oven, as they come with an enamel coating, and it does not interfere with the acidic cooking.
7. Heating – Cast iron is not known to be an excellent heat conductor, and when it comes to the enameled cast iron material, it is even less conductive than the cast iron. In simple words, this means it will take longer for the enameled cast iron dutch oven to get heated as compared to a raw cast iron dutch oven.
The Final Verdict: Which is the Best — Cast Iron vs Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven
The choice of selecting the best material for a dutch oven is simply yours and most importantly, it depends on your requirements and how much maintenance or care are you willing to put in. Evaluate the type of cooking you will perform in the kitchen and pick the one that suits your need. Having said this, If I were you, I would pick a raw cast iron dutch oven, season it well and then enjoy its durability for years and years.
How to Pick the Best Dutch Oven
1. Material – The Material of the dutch oven you are going to buy is the first thing you should decide before making that purchase. A dutch oven can be Stainless steel, cast iron, enameled cast iron, nonstick, etc. As a recommendation, you should always make a choice between cast iron and enameled cast iron dutch ovens. Both these materials are heavy, but they are fun to cook with. If you care more for looks and less timely maintenance, enameled cast iron maybe your time. On the contrary, if you are looking for a solid dutch oven and are okay with the maintenance, go for cast iron without any doubts.
2. Capacity – The capacity of a dutch oven varies from 1 litre, and it can go up to 10 litres as well. Whilst, a 1 litre dutch oven may not be a recommendation, as you should always buy a dutch oven keeping some buffer in mind. For the majority of the Indian families, a dutch oven with a capacity of 5-6 litres is more than what you need, and it will even suffice your daily kitchen requirements. Some people also prefer to buy two dutch ovens with different capacities.
3. Shape – A dutch oven mainly comes in two different shapes, i.e. round and oval. Round shaped dutch oven is the most popular choice, as it sits well on the gas stove. A good and fitting position also helps in uniform heating of the food being cooked. You will also notice that round shaped dutch ovens have more depth as compared to oval shaped dutch oven.
4. Aesthetic Looks – If you are looking for a new dutch oven to compliment the existing ones in your kitchen, then you can make a choice between enameled and uncoated cast iron dutch ovens. The enameled ones are vibrant, colourful, and they add a flavour to the kitchen.
5. Weight – There is no doubt about the fact that any cast iron cookware is very heavy and with the heavy weight, it can get a bit difficult to move the cookware around in the kitchen. Always check the weight of the dutch oven before buying one. If you have induction or glass cooktops, it may not be a good idea to drag a heavy dutch oven across its surface.
6. Handle – The handle of the dutch oven is very important, as a loosely fitted handle is not going to ease the cooking experience after all. The international brands such as Meyer, Bergner adds a canvas grip on the handle, which provides a very solid and comfortable hold while cooking. It is also important that the dutch oven comes in an unibody design, in simple words, this means there is no screw or joint to attach the handle to the rest of the body.
7. Lids and Knobs – Before putting your money in a dutch oven, check if it comes with a lid. The addition of a lid is really helpful, as it fastens the cooking experience. The good thing is that most of the dutch ovens in India are sold including a lid. Moreover, you should also check if there is a knob on top of the lid. The knob helps you to hold the lid without getting in touch with the extremely hot temperatures. Lastly, check if the lid is transparent or not. A transparent lid allows you to see and monitor the progress of your food being cooked.
8. Best Brands – Always and always put your money in the best brands for dutch ovens in India. Some of the best brands are Lodge, Meyer, Le Creuset, Rock, Amazon Solimo, Wonderchef, Bergner, etc. If you only prefer to buy “Make in India” products, you can then make a choice between Rock, Amazon Solimo, Wonderchef and Trilonium.
9. Price and Warranty – Keep in mind your budget before looking for the best dutch oven in India. There is a huge variety for dutch ovens in India, and the price varies depending on the dutch oven brand. If you are looking for the Best Affordable Dutch Oven in India, you can pick Amazon Solimo or Rock dutch oven. Similarly, there are a few brands such as Lodge, Le Creuset, Meyer that offers a massive lifetime warranty on their dutch ovens. Brands like Amazon Solimo do not offer any warranty, whereas you will get a good 5 year warranty from Wonderchef.
5 Reasons Why You Should Have a Dutch Oven in Your Kitchen
Cast iron cookware is not a new tool for Indian kitchens, we have been using cast iron pans and pots from ages. However, dutch ovens are a recent popular phenomenon amongst professional as well as regular kitchen chefs. Here are some of the reasons, why you should own a dutch oven —
1. Pasta – Speaking of the Italian dishes, nothing beats a hot and fresh pasta. Until and unless you have a pasta maker in the kitchen, you are going to need a cast iron dutch oven to cook that favourite pasta of yours. The best part is a dutch oven is one of the very few kitchen cookwares, where you can fit the entire pasta along with the ingredients you are going to add, this is possible due to the wide and deep dimensions of the dutch oven.
2. Soups – Come winters and we all search YouTube for our favourite soup recipe. The good thing is that the dutch oven is a perfect kitchen tool to cook all types of soups as well as stews. Dutch oven is ideal for slow cooking, and it has the tendency to keep your food hot for longer periods of time.
3. Roasting – If you happen to have an oven in your kitchen, you can really take complete benefit of a dutch oven by keeping it inside the oven and using it to roast not only meat, but also chicken or different vegetables. Inside the oven, the heat will transfer to all parts of the dutch oven, ideal for slow cooking and roasting.
4. Deep Frying – We Indians have a deep love for the fried items, even when we should actually be dieting. Be it monsoons, winters or even the scorching summers, there is always something in the kitchen that can be deep fried. There is nothing better than a dutch oven to deep fry, due to its huge dimensions, thickness and depth.
5. Browning – The browning of vegetables and spices is a necessary step when you are trying to fry the veggies for a special curry. Dutch ovens do an excellent job at curry, as they cook evenly and slowly. With the help of a dutch oven, you can achieve amazing simmering of the foods.
Is Dutch Oven Good for Indian Cooking?
There have been many doubts on the usage of dutch ovens for Indian style of cooking. However, contrary to all the myths, dutch ovens are absolutely perfect for Indian cooking. Think about the number of dishes we cook in our kitchens that requires slow cooking. The truth is all these dishes can give the maximum flavour, if you cook them in a dutch oven.
Some of the Indian foods you can prepare with the help of dutch oven are —
- Mac n Cheese
- Baked beans
- Mix vegetables
- Dal makhani
- Dal handi or bukhara
- All kinds of Stew
- Roasted chicken
- Kadhi, and many more ..
There is absolutely no doubt about the fact that dutch ovens are the most versatile cooking vessel in your kitchen. Its ability to cook the food from all the sides, and keep it hot for a longer period, makes it a very special cookware in the kitchen. So, the next time if the thought of Indian cooking with dutch oven comes to your mind, DO NOT think twice and get the best dutch oven.
A Few Alternatives to Dutch Oven
The price of a dutch oven is expensive and inexpensive at the same time, it all depends on the dutch oven’s brand. For an imported dutch oven like Lodge, you can expect to pay somewhere around 8,000 Indian rupees. The good thing is there are a few alternatives to a dutch oven.
If you think about it, what you need to substitute with a dutch oven is a similar piece of kitchen cookware that comes with a tight-fitting snug lid, heavy bottom, and most importantly, you should be able to use it on direct heat as well as in a conventional oven.
You can always use a slow cooker, crock pot, instant pot, air fryer, stainless steel kadai, oven-safe casserole, oven safe skillet, cast iron skillet, etc. instead of choosing an expensive dutch oven.
With so many choices and substitutes, the best alternative to a dutch oven is a slow cooker. Their modus operandi is pretty much the same, which is why it is the best alternative to a dutch oven.
How to Care for Your Dutch Oven
1. Seasoning – Cast iron cookwares have a tendency to attract rust, and hence it is absolutely imperative to season them from time to time. Unless you have a Le Creuset dutch oven, which is permanently pre-seasoned, you will need to season your dutch ovens. The process of seasoning is not complicated, as you only need to rub olive oil all over the dutch oven. Once this is done, put it into the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour, and then allow it to cool down in the oven itself.
2. Washing – Depending on the type of cast iron, you will need to wash the dutch oven carefully. For a raw and plain cast iron dutch oven, you can simply use a spatula to remove the food leftovers, and then wipe away the leftover with a clean cloth. For an enameled cast iron dutch oven, you can put them in the dishwasher or simply use soapy water and a nylon brush to clean the cookware.
3. Lids and Knobs – If you are using your dutch oven in the regular oven, make sure the lid and knob is also oven safe. If the knob or the lid is glass or made from plastic, it may not be able to withstand the extreme temperature. You can remove the lid and detach the knob in this case.
4. Scraping – When you are trying to remove the food leftover, make sure you are not scratching the leftovers with a metal spatula as it can easily damage the surface and make it useless over a period of time. Always use a silicone spatula for this purpose. Also, be sure not to bang the dutch ovens with the metal spatulas at any cost.
5. Extreme Temperatures – Always make sure you let the dutch oven cool down before adding anything cold to it. You should know that dutch ovens are extremely sensitive to the drastic temperature changes, as it can damage or even crack the surface.
6. Storage – Storage of the dutch ovens is also essential to improve its longevity. If your dutch oven is made from plain cast iron, you can store or stack it with no potential issues. However, if you have an enameled cast iron dutch oven, stacking it may chip its delicate coating, and the dutch oven will no longer be useful for the kitchen.
7. Add Oil – No matter how seasoned is your pan, or if you have a pre-seasoned enameled cast iron dutch oven, it is always a good idea to add some oil before you start cooking. The presence of oil in the dutch oven will ensure your food does not stick. If the food does not stick, the cooking and cleaning both will become much easier and enjoyable.
How to Season a Dutch Oven
If you have used a cast iron cookware before in the kitchen, then you would be aware of the seasoning process.
However, if this dutch oven is your first cast iron cookware, then you will need to follow a seasoning process, so that the food does not stick to the surface of the oven. Regular seasoning also helps in preventing any kind of rust and improves the durability of the cookware.
You should know that enameled cast iron dutch ovens are pre-seasoned, but they are also very expensive at the same time. If you have an uncoated cast iron dutch oven, you should still season it from time to time, even if the brand says it is pre-seasoned.
These are the steps you should follow to season your brand new dutch oven easily —
1. To season the dutch oven, use an open area. If you do not have an open area, open the windows, and make sure the space is well ventilated. The seasoning in the oven will produce a lot of smoke.
2. Remove any stickers, tags from the dutch oven if it is brand new. If not, make sure there is no food leftover, and the dutch oven should be totally clean. Post the cleaning, ensure that the water has evaporated before seasoning.
3. Place an aluminium foil, which should be bigger than the size of the dutch oven. This foil will go beneath the dutch oven, so the oil does not drip.
4. Now get some oil to season the dutch oven, it could be olive oil, vegetable oil, etc. Once this is done, apply the oil both inside and out of the dutch oven. You can use a paper towel to properly grease the dutch oven with the oil.
5. It is now the time to place the dutch oven into the oven, while you do this, make sure the dutch oven is upside down, and the temperature of the oven is around 220 degree celsius.
6. Keep the cast iron cookware in the oven for around 60 minutes, and switch off the oven. Let the cookware sit in the oven for another 15-20 minutes, before taking it out. Use oven mitts to take out the cast iron dutch oven.
7. The last step to season your dutch oven is to make sure there is no residue post seasoning, which is why, you can use a towel.
How to Clean a Dutch Oven
Cleaning of a dutch oven depends on the material of the dutch oven, which could either be plain cast iron or enameled cast iron.
If you have an uncoated or plain cast iron dutch oven, the first thing you should do is wash it by hand, and not use a dishwasher. You can use a very small amount of mild dish soap, and remove any food leftovers with the help of a silicone spatula or a nylon brush.
Now, make sure you dry the pot with a paper towel or cloth. There should not be any water left on the surface, as it can cause the rust to develop. It is recommended to season the dutch oven after cleaning, and before use.
When you are not using the dutch oven, store it in a dry place. Instead of keeping the lid on top of the dutch oven, place it sideways, so the air can get inside the cast iron cookware.
On the other hand, if you have an enameled cast iron dutch oven, the process is a bit different. The first step is to obviously wash it by hand, even though you can still place it in the dishwasher. You can use a bit of dish soap and a nylon brush for cleaning.
If the dutch oven has any hard leftovers, fill it with some water and baking soda, and let it soak overnight. You can now gently scrub with soap and water to remove the residue. Let the dutch oven get some air, so it can dry out itself.
We hope this detailed and comprehensive guide on the Best Dutch Oven in India in 2021 was useful and informative to you. We also encourage you to read the customer reviews of any product before buying. Should you have any questions on this, feel free to leave a comment. If you want our team to review a product you are interested in buying, you can reach out to us at [email protected], and we will be happy to review it.